Monday, July 10, 2017

Week 2 in Peru

Hello my friends and family! Wow this week was a rough one! Since we last talked I got the flu, lost a couple baptismal dates, and we had a 4.0 earthquake HAHAHA. But I am progressing! My Spanish is something I'm worrying about less and less each day and I can almost understand everybody!

So with the flu this week I was bed ridden for Wednesday which really made me feel lazy. I hate feeling like I could be doing something better but not being able to do it. I felt better on Thursday but then 4 of our baptismal dates decided they didnt want to be taught the Gospel anymore.
That was really discouraging but I'm starting to realize that having 12 baptismal
DATES is no where near the same as having 12 BAPTISMS.

But, the week didn't end terribly. Our district had a couple baptisms and they asked me to sing and play my ukulele for them. There were a couple non members there and they were in tears after I sang "O Lord My Redeemer." I heard that one of them decided to take the lessons from other Elders after that night so I loved that experience. The earthquake was small, not big enough to break anything or hurt anybody. But it shook our chairs pretty good and surprised us all. I was nervous there was gonna be a bigger one after wards but we were assured that that is EXTREMELY rare.

From my studies, I would encourage everyone to read the final chapter of John in the New Testament where Christ tells his apostles to "Feed My Sheep".  I invite you to take that challenge upon yourselves and see what you can do to Feed His Sheep this week.
 
I miss and love you all. Hope everything is going well for yall!

picture of the view from my apartment:
 from our apartment in the other direction

Notes from email to mom:
-- Elder Sivley said that he and the other American Elders in his district got together and sang the National Anthem as loud as they could on the 4th of July.  He said the native elders looked at them like they were crazy but it was funny and very patriotic!
-- Elder Sivley already had a "can't remember the word in English" moment when he was talking about transfers and could only say "cambios." He literally could not think of the word in English which is just crazy to me since he has spoken English for 19 years and is now so concentrated on learning the Spanish language that he is forgetting English words!  haha
-- He loves your emails and pictures and words of encouragement... thank you for loving our boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment